So some of my friends have been trying to convince me to post recipes. Honestly, I feel a bit sheepish about it. I mean I’m no Pioneer Woman or Heidi Swanson and my photos are taken with my iPhone. 😛 no SLR and photoshop to make it all glammed up. But I still thought it would be fun since I love cooking and eating so much : ) hehe.
So here’s my curried sweet potato salad recipe. I love the flavor of this dish! I mean what can be better than sweet potatoes and curry? On top of that, this recipe is fast and easy to whip up, not to mention affordable! So here goes. Let me know what you think when you do try it out.
First, boil around 3lbs of sweet potatoes (around 6 fairly large ones) but don’t let them overcook. You’ll get mashed sweet potato instead of a potato salad if you do.
The boiling time varies depending on the size you purchase. I just keep an eye on them and check every ten or so minutes with a fork to see how cooked they are. The fork should be able to poke into these little suckers fairly well with some resistance. I usually just get a 3lb bag from Trader Joe’s for $3.69.
Drain the potatoes and let it cool in the fridge for at least an hour. Next peel the skin off and dice into 1/2 inch cubes. Place them in a large bowl.
Cut up half of a red onion. You can use less if you don’t want everyone’s mouth to stink afterwards hehe.
Next sprinkle two teaspoons of salt onto the onions.
Let it set in a colander for around 30 minutes, then squeeze them in order to allow excess moisture to drain out. Feel free to skip this step if you’re in a hurry.
Dice up two stalks of celery (feel free to improvise. Apple would be good as well) and a bunch of cilantro.
Mince one clove of garlic
Squeeze the lemon to get some juice. Got this sweet gadget at Sur La Table. Love how it removes the seeds and also measures the juice in the container below.
Put all the cut ingredients into the bowl with the sweet potatoes.
Then measure out 1 Tablespoon of curry powder. Add it to the bowl of ingredients.
measure out 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and sprinkle it into the bowl as well
Measure and add 1 cup of mayonnaise (or sour cream or vegenaise. I want to try to make my own mayonnaise one day)
Now stir the ingredients a few times to blend in the flavors but not too much so it turns to mush. Then chill it until you want to impress your friends! Enjoy!
Curried Sweet Potato Salad
3 lb bag of sweet potatoes (around 6 fairly large ones)
1/2 red onion
2 teaspoons of salt
1 close garlic, minced
juice of one lemon
1 cup mayonnaise (sour cream, vegenaise, have your pick)
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (around a small handful)
1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Boil the sweet potatoes until tender. Then drain and chill them for at least an hour. Next peel the potato skin off and dice them into 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a large bowl.
- Cut up half of a red onion. Then sprinkle 2 teaspoons of salt on top. Place in colander for excess moisture to drain out for 30 minutes.
- Dice up two stalks of celery (feel free to improvise. Apple would be good as well) and a bunch of cilantro.
- Mince up the garlic
- Squeeze the lemon for juice
- Squeeze out extra moisture from the onions then add it to the bowl along with all the other ingredients above.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and 1 Cup of mayonnaise.
- Mix it a few times, careful not the break up the sweet potatoes. Chill until ready to serve. Enjoy!