Mid-Autumn Festival is around the corner. A fun and easy way to celebrate this Chinese holiday is to make a paper lantern.
Celebrating Chinese holidays like Mid-Autumn Festival is a great way to help kids cultivate a love of learning Chinese.
This is also a great way to help children who have Chinese heritage find a sense of self and bond with their background.
I have such fond memories of celebrating Mid-Autumn Festival with my cousins at my grandparents’ house when we lived in Taiwan. I wanted to help you have that experience too with your kids!
Mid-Autumn Festival Lantern How To
- empty Kleenex box (smaller size)
- LED candles
- brown paint
- one dowel rod (can substitute with chopstick, pencil, stick)
- glue gun & stick
- hole puncher
- my free printable (see below for download info)
- Cut rectangles that are 3 inches wide and 4″ long on each sides of the Kleenex box. (This is my favorite craft knife that makes crafts like these easy to do)
- Punch two holes on the top of the box
- Paint the box brown or whichever color you prefer. I chose brown to make it look like the older lanterns made out of wood. Let it dry
- Put one of the string into the hole on the top and create a knot to keep it from falling out. Repeat on the other side.
- Tape the printables with characters 中秋快樂/Zhōngqiū kuàilè/Happy Mid-Autumn Festival on the inside of the box
- Hot glue the string to a wooden dowel to help stabilize it
- Place LED candle inside the lantern and enjoy!
To access the free printable register below. After confirming your email, you’ll receive a password to access the printables.
If you’ve already registered, click here to get to my printables page.
Hope your family enjoys this craft and celebrating Mid-Autumn Festival together! Be sure to tag me @spotofsunshineChinese to let me see your creation!
中秋節快樂！中秋节快乐！Zhōngqiū jié kuàilè! Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!
More Mid Autumn Fun
For some more fun Mid Autumn Festival activities, check out the following posts:
- Mid Autumn Festival 中秋節: Fun Activities for Kids
- How to Celebrate the Mid Autumn Festival from Chinese American Family
- Mooncakes and More! Celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival! from Little Passports
- Mid-Autumn Festival Books for Kids in Chinese & English from CHALK Academy
- Global Ed:Chinese Mid Autumn Moon Festival free Mid Autumn Festival printables from Miss Panda
- Chocolate Snowskin Mooncakes recipe from Fortune Cookie Mom
Don’t Do It Alone!
For support from likeminded parents, please join us at Christian Parents Raising Bilingual Children in English & Chinese.
Another great FaceBook group for parents raising bilingual kids: